So many of us are so preoccupied with racing to the finish line; so much so that we often forget to stop and smell the roses.
We're constantly on the move, trying to work more, do more and earn more, just so that we may one day be happy.
But the truth is that happiness doesn't just lie at the end of the tunnel; it is all around us! Yet so many people fail to recognize the small and simple pleasures around us everyday.
It is when you take a moment to truly acknowledge and recognize these simple pleasures, that you will be able to feel happier and more at peace everyday!
The power of appreciating the simple pleasures
Many small and simple pleasures in life are those that we take for granted the most. How often do you really stop and appreciate the hot shower you took, or the piping hot cup of coffee that you had this morning?
When you really take a moment to consider all the small things that you've taken for granted, you'll be surprised to find just how much there is to appreciate in life!
When you're able to find appreciation and gratitude in your everyday life, you'll be surprised to find just how resilient and mentally strong you'll become. Suddenly, setbacks and mistakes will no longer be as big of a deal, for you have so much joy to look forward to in life now!
So, today, try to take a step back and identify any small pleasures in your life! And if you're struggling to identify some, here are 30 suggestions that might inspire you further.
40 Simple pleasures to cherish in life
- Being able to wake up to a new day
- The sunrise
- The quiet of the early morning hours
- Being able to sleep in
- The first sip of coffee in the morning
- Clothes fresh out of the dryer
- A nice, rejuvenating morning shower
- Being able to make someone smile
- Listening to a old, nostalgic song
- Receiving an unexpected compliment
- Rewatching your favorite show or movie
- A place to sit in peace and quiet
- Reading a good book
- Baked goods fresh out of the oven
- A warm meal
- A full stomach
- The feeling after finishing a good workout
- Enjoying a good belly laugh
- Pleasant weather
- Rainbows after a rainstorm
- Having long and meaningful conversations
- Spending time with people you love
- The flowers you pass by on the way home
- Diving into bed after a long day
- A hot shower or bath after a long day
- Clearing out your inbox
- Watching your bank account grow
- The pitter patter of rain
- The sensation of feeling well-rested
- Checking an item off your to-do list
- Relaxing on a Friday night
- Resting your head on a pillow
- Seeing friends you haven't met up with in a while
- Days where you can chill and not worry about work
- Breathing in the fresh air outdoors
- Sipping on a cold drink on a hot day
- Sipping on a warm drink on a cold day
- Feeling clean after a shower
- Hearing "thank you" when you do something nice
As you can see, all of these suggestions are things that are part and parcel of life, and we have slowly forgotten how to appreciate them.
In truth, these are all things that make life vibrant, and appreciating these things will attract more happiness and positivity into your day.
Staying grateful with journaling
If you're just starting out with appreciating the small and simple pleasures, it may be helpful for you to write down 3 to 5 things you're grateful for everyday.
That said, it can be difficult to get into the daily journaling habit if you've never journaled regularly before. If that is something you struggle with, then consider downloading a digital journaling app like Journey!
On Journey, you can keep yourself accountable by setting daily journaling reminders. These reminders will be sent to you either via notifications or via email. If you have chosen to activate email reminders, you can even reply to the email reminder with your journal entry, and it will be uploaded onto Journey as a journal entry!
And if you're looking to start becoming more intentional with your life and more grateful for the simple pleasures, why not enroll in a Journey Coach program?
These are daily prompt programs that you can enroll in, and there are more than 50 different topics that you can choose from — including practicing gratitude!
Journey Coach is an excellent, hassle-free and fuss-free way to improve yourself, enrich your mental wellbeing and help you appreciate life more.
It is up to us to truly seize every single day and make the most of things! Why waste your time and energy being negative when you can look at the world around you, appreciate the simple pleasures in life, and be filled with gratitude instead?
We hope that this article has opened your eyes to some of the simple yet magical pleasures around you that you should treasure!